Monday, September 20, 2004

Online Discussions Boards: Are They for Me?

Well, I can see how people can get lost in space – at least in the Internet. This assignment was challenging for me because, although I have used Google Groups as a research/problem solving tool, I have never actively participated in an online discussion board. At first I was overwhelmed with the massiveness of the groups, but as I began searching and sifting, I began to see the organization and navigation within Google Groups. I really struggled to find an active group that was of interest to me. I searched for my favorite TV show (I only have one obscure one I enjoy), parenting, single-parenting, dissertation, kids, Macs, videoconferencing between Macs and PCs, music, education, Microsoft suite, and well, the list goes on and on. The idea of archiving is amazing and I was impressed by the searching capabilities.

I spent some time searching in Google Groups for help regarding two specific issues: 1) videoconferencing with a Mac and a PC and 2) trying to get help with a Verizon cell phone issue. I found discussion boards were helpful outside of Google Groups as well.

Videoconferencing with a Mac and PC:
comp.sys.mac.comm
At an Instructional Architect meeting last week, we were able to include a team member from Hawaii, Bart Palmer, in an iChat conversation. I was so impressed with the ease of set up and clarity of the picture, that I thought I should try something similar at home. That way I could talk to Ben in Texas, my parents in Cedar and the boys could talk to their dad in Spokane. Unfortunately, all three are PC users, so it wouldn’t be quite as slick as a straight Mac solution. (Once you go Mac, you can’t go back.) There are some pretty easy set-ups, the best one being Mac-Mac, then Mac-PC via AOL (this requires Windows XP). Ben bought a Logitech webcam last night so I researched their Discussion Forum and tried to set it up w/Mac-PA via AOL, but no luck because he doesn't have XP. So, we both downloaded Yahoo Messenger and it "works" (I guess). I can see him, but the clarity was horrible compared to the iChat conference call last week. I guess we'll see if I can convert others to Mac. :)

Verizon:
alt.cellular.verizon
So, not to share too much information, but I was completely perturbed when I opened my cell phone bill and realized there was another billing error. I still wasn’t receiving credit for my in-network calls. I called Verizon's customer service last month and they told me they had billing errors and would credit my account the appropriate amount. This month however, I had no such luck. So, with the outrageously expensive phone bill in hand, I set out to learn from other’s experiences and see what could be done. I found a helpful board with a posting from a Verizon employee at ripoffreport.com. She stated, " At the end of every year we get a huge bonus if we save money...." Who knew?

Then I thought I’d post my own experience at the alt.cellular.verizon board. Wow! I was in for a rude awakening to the world of online discussions! If I expected sympathy or help, that was not on the menu. The first comment in response to my dilemma was from Edward, “Read and understand the terms of your plan. That way, you won't make any more stupid mistakes...and most importantly, stop whining. You screwed up-- so take some responsibility for your error and pay them what you owe them.” Ouch! Other harsh comments included, “Agreed, from a grad student no less. I can only assume a lack of attention to detail” and “What the hell is a grad student (or any college student) doing with a cellphone. You should be using the money spent on the cell phone for school costs, instead of running up debt for student loans. That will haunt you for the rest of your life.”

I can finally laugh about these comments. Fellow posters don’t know the whole scenario and perhaps feel better about themselves by trying to make others feel inferior, stupid, uninformed, etc. Unfortunately, when I first read these postings, I was seriously offended! I thought maybe I’m not cut out for this online interactions. Then, as more people began posting, and a tirade ensued about students loans -- they must’ve taken a page out of Wiley’s course on tirades ;) -- I began to see the situation in a different light. My overall impression is that people are a lot nicer, polite, and cordial in face-to-face situations. Perhaps my experience would’ve been different had I participated in a different content area (such as heart transplant survivors or single-parenting boards).

Follow up to the cell phone situation:
I was practically moved to tears when Julie, a CSR from Verizon, was able to rectify the billing situation. There had been, in fact, misinformation on Verizon’s part. She credited my account the appropriate amount and was so NICE! I guess Verizon isn’t so bad after all.

Logged hours: 7 hours searching archives and 4 hours participating in discussions and looking around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home